It is a known fact that the world’s oceans cover more than 70% of our planet’s surface. But what very few of us realize is that these precious resources are under catastrophic threat from several sources, including industrial, agricultural, and human activities. In view of showing appreciation to this precious resource of ours, for the first time in 1992, the Canadian government came up with the idea of World Oceans Day at the Earth Summit in Rio.
Since 1992, many countries across the globe have joined hands to celebrate the World Oceans Day on June 8th every year. The theme of this day “Our Oceans, Our Responsibility” is in itself an eye-opener of sorts. It is a call to all of us to do our bit for protecting the oceans.
You too can take part in World Oceans Day and contribute to the noble mission of protecting the oceans. Just keep in mind some of these tips and you for sure would have made a great difference!
• Equip your boats with proper bilge discharge options and avoid dumping oily bilge water into the sea.
• Be very careful while changing and refueling oil in your boat and prevent any accidental oil spills.
• For bilge cleaning and accidental oil spill cleanup use of eco-friendly cleaners, such as Oil Gone Marine S-200 would be the best bet. S-200 can be the safest method you can think of, for it uses bioremediation technology to break down the oil and convert it into carbon dioxide and water.
• Even in your garage or anywhere in your home, avoid the use of toxic chemicals and detergents to remove oil spills or leaks from. Instead, consider using green products, such as Oil Gone Easy Home & Driveway S-200.
• Minimize the use of pesticides and fertilizers in your garden and ensure proper disposal of construction residual thereby reduce pollution from storm water runoff.
Popularity: 7% [?]